You may have heard of cork flooring as an option for homeowners, but what exactly is this type of flooring? Also, what are some of the pros and cons when it comes to getting cork flooring installed in your home? Here are some of the answers to these questions, to decide if cork flooring is the right choice for you!
What is Cork Flooring?
Cork flooring is a type of flooring that is made using bark from the cork oak tree. Cork flooring is softer than typical hardwood flooring, and it is also eco-friendly. This is because the bark of the tree that cork flooring material is harvested from does grow back every 3 years. No trees need to be cut down for this type of flooring! Cork flooring is known to be soft, warm, and durable.
Pros and Cons of Cork Flooring
Just like with any kind of flooring, cork flooring does have its pros and cons. However, it is up to you to decide whether this type of flooring works for your home and lifestyle.
Pros of cork flooring include:
- Is lower in pricing, can work for a variety of households compared to typical hardwood or carpet flooring
- Is sustainable and biodegradable, which means you’re doing the earth a big favor by choosing this flooring
- Has easy maintenance, just needing some sweeping/vacuuming and mopping to stay clean
- Is durable, cork is springy and can bounce back to its original shape no matter how many people walk on it
- Is easy to install and maintain
- Is hypoallergenic and antimicrobial
- Is warm, due to having a high insulation factor
Some cons of cork flooring include:
- Can develop divots from heavy furniture and appliances
- May scratch from dog and cat nails
- Can develop slight discoloration due to sunlight rays beaming straight down on it
- May still be susceptible to some damages
Cork Flooring Design
Traditional cork flooring has a warm and natural design, but many people have often grown accustomed to seeing this type of flooring in casual spaces outside the home. Perhaps in the garage, or a backyard shed. However, manufacturing has allowed cork flooring to be produced that has a lot of different styles, even mimicking hardwood flooring, marble flooring, and concrete. Cork flooring design should not be something that holds back homeowners from trying out this budget-friendly and comfortable flooring option!
If You’re Looking For Cork Flooring…
Cork flooring may have its pros and cons, but there’s no doubt the benefits of this affordable and soft flooring outweigh the downsides. Every type of flooring needs some form of maintenance, and cork flooring is no different. If you are looking for a Menifee carpet or flooring shop to further learn about the benefits of cork flooring and find the right type for your home, turn to Temecula Carpets! You can browse our large selection of flooring and learn more about why cork flooring may work for you. Give us a call!